Matrics, we know you’ve been working hard on revising and studying for your final exams! In fact, you’ve been working towards these exams for the last 12 years. The National Senior Certificate is an incredible achievement that shows the rest of the world that you have successfully completed all the required years of schooling. Today we are covering everything you need to know about your Matric results. By the end of this post, you will know how your Matric results are calculated, what is required to pass Matric, what each symbol means, as well as where to view your Matric results.
Your Matric results are a combination of two things:
The two criteria above make up 100%, with the exception of Life Orientation which is entirely an internal assessment.
Depending on the type of school you attend, the way in which the school-based assessments are divided to make up the 25% can vary. The final exams can also be split unevenly to make up the other 75%. We recommend asking your school before trying to calculate your own results.
In order to pass Matric, you will need to pass your home language with at least 40% and 2 other subjects with 40%. You can fail one subject, as long as you achieve 30% or more for the remaining 6 subjects, making 6 passes in total.
Always check the requirements for entering the institution you wish to attend for further study. This may have an impact on your subject choices and whether or not you should rewrite one of your Matric exams, based on the marks you obtain.
Below is an overview of the 4 different pass results and what is required to obtain each.
A Bachelor’s Degree pass is the highest level of a pass in Matric. This will enable you to study for a Bachelor’s Degree at a University. In order to obtain this level of pass, you will need to achieve the following:
A Diploma Pass is the second level of a pass in Matric. This will enable you to study for a Diploma course at an institution of higher learning. In order to obtain this level of pass, you will need to achieve the following:
A Higher Certificate Pass is the third level of a pass in Matric. This will enable you to apply for any public FET or private college. In order to obtain this level of pass, you will need to achieve the following:
This is an ordinary pass in Matric. This will allow you to study any course that only requires a pass in Matric. In order to obtain this level of pass, you will need to achieve the following:
APS stands for Admission Points Score. The mark you obtain for each Matric exam correlates with an Admission Points Score. This score is calculated by placing your mark in the 1 - 7 range in the APS calculator and is used by Universities to determine whether you can study at their institution.
This is how your APS score is calculated:
According to the Department of Education, the Matric results will be released on 20th January 2023.
These are the different ways you can view your results:
Visit the Department of Education website (for South African public school students), the IEB website (for South African private school students) or the News 24 Matric Results Portal (for all South African Matriculants).
Take a look at your Matric Finals results in local newspapers (like The Rapport, The Argus, and The Star). They will publish your exam number instead of your name as well as whether or not you have passed, along with your symbol.
The day after the Department of Education has released your results, they will be available through your school. Please note that this is not your Matric certificate.
Download the MatricsMate app! It’s free and will allow you to view your results as soon as they are released. Once you’ve downloaded the app, you will need to register an account. You can do this via SMS (just send your ID number and exam number to 35658) or USSD service (dial *120*35658# on release date, answer a few questions and enter your ID number).
Best of luck to all the Matrics who are in the middle of their exams!
There are some really simple and practical things you shouldn't forget, such as the date for your exams! Today we’re sharing the full calendar for your Matric Finals as well as how, when, and where to get your results. (read more)
In this post, we share some insights and thoughts about the study process involved in preparing for exams. We invite you to reflect on how your experience with writing Prelims can guide your preparation and hopefully improve your performance. (read more)
These tips are used by our top qualified Teach Me 2 Tutors when they coach students for exams! So, if you’d like to go from feeling under pressure and underprepared to feeling totally in charge, on top of your study load and ready to conquer your Matric Finals, then keep on reading. (read more)